Easter in Chicago!


We are getting to the point in the semester that everyone is burnt out and patiently waiting for the end of the semester. Every break we get is needed and these breaks are the only reason some of us are making it through! Although we just got back from spring break a few weeks ago, I was so ready for Easter break. Unfortunately, I could not go home for Easter since it was too long of a drive for a short break, but my friend Lenore was kind enough to invite me home with her for the weekend! My other friend Ella also lives too far away to go home, so Lenore's parents kindly opened their home to both of us.

We left early Friday morning and began our 5-hour drive. Lenore lives in a suburb of Chicago, and I was excited to go since I'd never been to Illinois before! It was so refreshing to get off campus for a few days and be in a city and not stuck in Ohio surrounded by cornfields. I was a little sad that this would be my first Easter away from home and that all my family would be there except me. My family always makes holidays a big deal, no matter how small the holiday is. Because of that, it is definitely sad being away from home and watching my family continue their traditions without me. 

However, I was so happy that even though I was unable to go home I was still able to get off campus and be welcomed into someone else's traditions. Lenore's parents were so welcoming and told Ella and me that we are welcome in their home anytime! After a long drive on Friday, we finally made it to Chicago. We freshened up and made our way to Lenore's aunt's house to dye Easter eggs with her cousins. We had a great afternoon with them and it was fun getting to know some of her family! That evening we went to one of the big malls near Lenore's house to get some retail therapy. It was so refreshing to shop in a nice mall since that isn't something we have around campus. 

The next morning we went to get acai bowls for breakfast and I was so excited! Acai bowls are my absolute favorite and I haven't had one in so long! We spent the majority of the day helping Lenore's mom prepare food for Easter. We made lots of desserts and it was so fun to spend the day baking together. That evening we went to a nice Italian restaurant and had some of the best pasta in my life. Just thinking about it makes me hungry! After dinner we went out for ice cream with some of Lenore's hometown friends and it was so fun to meet them! I love that we are in the phase of life where we can introduce our current friends to our hometown and the people who used to be a part of our everyday lives. 



The next day was Easter! We woke up early to have breakfast and get ready for church. I have always loved putting on a nice dress for Easter and looking extra nice for church. It was fun getting to see where Lenore's family went to church and spending the morning there. Afterward, we headed back home to prepare for Lenore's extended family coming over for Easter dinner. We made sure to take cute pictures in our Easter outfits before changing into our comfy clothes for the rest of the day. 

We spent the day eating delicious food and spending time together. Lenore's family was so nice and welcoming to Ella and me! I worried that I would feel out of place that day, but they made me feel more welcomed than I thought possible. I cherished the time I got to spend there. I ate way more food than I should have that day, but I knew this was the only home-cooked meal I would be having for a very long time. Going back to Mac food after this will not be fun...


The next morning we began our drive back to campus. I was not ready to go back and we were all very sad. I wish we had one more day because the break was too short! Now I just have to hold onto the fact that we have six more weeks until summer. Although it was sad to FaceTime and see my family all together without me on Easter, I had the best time at Lenore's house! I find it funny how 8 months ago I had just met Lenore and Ella and now they are my best friends and I just spent a weekend traveling to spend a holiday with them. This phase of life is crazy but I know I will always look back on these memories fondly! I hope you all had an amazing Easter and are ready to conquer these last few weeks of school. 

Comments

  1. Looked like you had a fun Easter in Chicago! I completely agree that breaks are crucial at this point of the semester and I'm just waiting for summer to come at this point. That was so kind of your friend to open her home to you both over break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a blast! I LOVE Chicago!! I 100% agree with what you said about waiting for summer. I think we're all just holding on, trying our hardest not to let go and give up entirely! But as you pointed out, that's nothing a little retail therapy can't fix!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That seems like such a fun Easter!!! I'm glad you got to still celebrate the holiday with people you love even if it wasn't your family. I hope rehearsals for 9 to 5 are still going well. I'm hoping to make it to one of the shows!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This seems like so much fun! I'm sure being away from home for the first time during a holiday was upsetting; however, it sounds like you were able to thoroughly enjoy Easter. I love all these pictures! The pasta looks so yummy, and shopping — I'm jealous! It sounds like you had a great first trip to Illinois.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Opening Weekend!

Valentine's Day!