Sorority Recruitment and Masterclass!
This past weekend was sorority recruitment for the four Panhellenic sororities on campus! It was very bittersweet to think this was the last time I would be recruiting for Kappa Alpha Theta as an active member. Recruitment season is extremely busy and tiring, but it is always so worth it when we get to see our new members run home to us!
Thursday was by far the longest day of recruitment weekend. My day starts with class at 9:30 a.m. and then I am not done with classes until 5:45 p.m., besides my hour lunch break. We were told to be in the Theta house by 4:30 p.m.; however, I had class during that time and was unable to get there until 6 p.m. when the first round was beginning. I only had to talk to a few girls throughout the rounds, so it was nice to get a little break and to be able to work on homework in the back until we were done at 9 p.m. Although it was an extremely long day, it was very rewarding because we finally received the Holiday Spectacular cast list! I received the exact role I wanted, which was a regular singer/dancer with one of the solos! I am looking forward to starting rehearsals for that at the end of October!
Friday was slightly easier since I was able to sleep in a bit and my class schedule was not as vigorous as the prior day. The rounds went great and I was able to chat with some amazing girls. I even got to talk to two of the girls that ended up joining Theta in the end, which was very exciting!
Saturday was the last round of recruitment; however, I was unable to attend because I was chosen to sing in a masterclass for the theater department! We have a guest director on campus for the production of The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee and she has an extensive resume, so getting to perform and workshop one of my dream roles for her was an incredible opportunity! The masterclass began at 9 a.m., so I had to get up around 6:30 a.m. in order to have plenty of time to warm up my voice in preparation for my performance in the masterclass. It was an extremely beneficial experience that I will never forget!
Later in the evening, I attended the dance show on campus and it was such a cool show! I even got to go onstage as part of some audience participation. I loved getting to spend my evening supporting my friends in the theater department! After that, my roommate and I went to a bonfire with some of our Theta friends.
We woke up bright and early on Sunday morning to prepare for the best day of the year: bid day! In a sorority, this is typically the most exciting day when you get to see all your hard work pay off as the new members run home to join our sisterhood. My roommate was in charge of set-up, so we made sure to be there extra early to get things in order. It was such a fun day, but extremely bittersweet knowing that it was my last time experiencing that. I hope that the new members have the most amazing experience in the Theta sisterhood, just like I have the past four years. I ended my weekend by relaxing at home with my boyfriend and roommates. We all made dinner together and had a movie night before heading to bed! Although it was an exhausting weekend, I am so grateful for all the memories I made!




Comments
Post a Comment