College Mishaps

You know that old saying, "When it rains, it pours"? Well that is what my week has felt like. One thing going wrong after the other. All while trying to keep up with homework and a social life here on campus. I can't say that I am not thankful to be at ONU but I know I would much rather be at home right now.  

My week started out pretty good. My 9am class on Monday was cancelled so I got to sleep in a little bit which was very nice. However, I woke up feeling sick but knew I shouldn't skip any classes on the second week back. So I powered through. 

On Tuesday I was feeling okay enough to get up and go about my day. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I do not have class until 12pm, so I like to get up early and try to get some work done and go to lunch with friends before classes. Due to a medication I am on, I tend to get emotional at the most random times and cannot control it. As I was trying to get work done I was listening to songs and I don't know what came over me but suddenly I just began to cry. It might be the stress I am under with various things, but all I know is that I didn't have time to be crying. Then after eating lunch I had the biggest stomach ache (thanks Mac) and that continued for the rest of the day. I have classes until 5:45pm, so at that point I was dying to go home and relax.

On Wednesday morning I got to take care of Copper, one of the service dogs in training on campus, and that lifted my spirits. Classes went pretty well for me throughout the day. However, after my classes were over I had to go film callback materials for a show I auditioned for and this is where I lost it. For something that should have taken no more than an hour, I somehow found myself in a practice room trying to get the perfect takes for almost 3 hours. I was frustrated and eventually just gave up. 

Later that evening, my friends wanted to go out to dinner. After the rough few days I had just experienced I thought getting off campus for a little might be nice. I do not have a car on campus but my roommate lets me use her car whenever I need it. She would have gone to dinner with us but unfortunately she had work. She told me where her keys were and out we went to get her car. Here is where everything fell apart. 

As we walked up to her car, I clicked the unlock button and the lights turned on as normal but nothing unlocked. I thought that maybe something in the system just misfired so I gave it a second and tried again. Nothing happened. My friends and I were extremely confused as to why all the lights were on but the car itself was not unlocking. We took the physical key out to try to unlock it but to our surprise, that didn't work either! At this point I was on the phone with my roommate and even she was confused. We had no other choice but to call public safety to help us get into the car.

As we waited for public safety to get there some guys were walking by and asked if we needed help but even they could not figure it out. Public safety got there and proceeded to break into the car using their fancy gadgets and we finally got in, but then the car would not start. We had to wait for another public safety officer to come and jump the car battery. After all of this we finally got the car running. The officers told us we had to drive the car around for 30 minutes to recharge the battery, so off we went. 

Needless to say, we did not go out to dinner that night. We drove the car around town for 30 minutes, ordered takeout at Viva Maria's, drove back to our dorms and finally ate dinner at 9pm. It was one of those situations that was so frustrating but you can't help but laugh about it. At the end of the night we said that will definitely be one of the memories we remember forever. So if you ever cannot get into your car, call Officer Simmons and he will get into your car easy-peasy while cracking jokes with you. Although it was a rough week, it can only go up from here. 


My friends and I as we waited for Pub Safety to get into the car

Comments

  1. I can totally relate to the extreme amounts of stress super early in the semester. The dogs on campus are definitely needed to keep us all sane! Keep looking on the bright side and the good things that come with any mishaps that may happen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Opening Weekend!

Easter in Chicago!

Valentine's Day!